Did you know that 60% of Americans with diabetes skip annual sight-saving eye exams? People with diabetes are at increased risk of developing serious eye diseases, yet most do not have sight-saving, annual eye exams, according to a large study. This is especially timely as the we join the Academy in reiterating the importance of eye exams during the month of November, which is observed as Diabetic Eye Disease Awareness Month. [Read more…]
On November 14th, global awareness is directed towards Diabetes Day. It was first introduced in 1995 in response to the alarming rise of diabetes around the world.
Facts About Diabetes
Did you know:
- 1 in 2 adults with diabetes is undiagnosed
- Screening for Type 2 diabetes is important for early diagnosis and treatment
- Up to 70% of type 2 diabetic cases an be prevented with healthier lifestyle changes
- In 2015 there were 415 million adults had diabetes
- By 2040 this number will rise to 642 million — that’s 1 in every 10 adults!
Eyes on Diabetes
On November 14, global awareness is directed toward Diabetes Day. It was first introduced in 1991 in response to the alarming rise of diabetes around the world. Did you know that:
• 1 in 2 adults with diabetes are not diagnosed!
• Screening for Type 2 diabetes is important for early diagnosis and treatment
• Up to 70% of type 2 Diabetic cases can be prevented with healthier lifestyle changes
• In 2015 there were 415 million adults had diabetes
• By 2040, this number will rise to 642 million- that’s 1 in every 10 adults! [Read more…]
Last week we learned about what pink eye is and its’ symptoms to look out, this week, we’ll learn the different types of pink eye and what to be wary of when treating them.
A Common Eye Condition
This common eye condition can be defined as a redness and inflammation of the membranes that cover the whites of the eyes. Conjunctivitis will also affect the membranes on the inner parts of the eyelids.
Pink eye may be caused by many different things. It can be caused by a bacteria, a virus, allergies, toxic agents and sometimes by underlying diseases in the body. Pink eye can be classified as noninfectious or infectious depending on the cause. [Read more…]
Pink eye, or conjunctivitis, is an infection of the outside of the eye. It is associated with the characteristic symptoms of;
- Burning, and
- Crusting of the eye lashes when awakening from sleep.
These symptoms are caused by an infection of the conjunctiva of the eye. [Read more…]