If you think you do not need to be aware of the health of your vision now while you are still young enough to take care of it, think again. You do not have to wait for a problem, illness, or issue to arise before taking care of your visual health.
There are many ways to be proactive with your visual health:
- Eating a healthy diet
- Taking vitamin and mineral supplements
- Having regular eye examinations
- Doing cardio vascular exercise and activity
Cardiovascular activity has been shown in recent studies to be an active form of decreasing visual disease.
What is World Sight Day?
World Sight Day occurs every year on the second Thursday of October. It is a global event that promotes the importance of healthy vision with a hope for individuals to be more proactive on a grander scale when it comes to healthy vision.
Raising awareness on visual impairment and blindness is the number one goal of World Sight Day.
There are many serious ways that World Sight Day is celebrated. For example:
- Individuals as well as organizations try to raise awareness to the public
- Individuals and organizations persuade governmental and health facilities to allocate funds toward blindness prevention
- Agencies partake in educating those who may be at risk for vision impairment or blindness and how to take preventative action
Five Ways You Make a Difference on World Sight Day
Also, there are many creative ways that World Sight Day partakes in educating and making vision and blindness awareness fun and interactive.
- Walks to raise funds for blindness awareness
- The planting of trees
- Fun apps that take photos of your eyes and for each one, a donation is made on behalf of a major corporation involved in vision impairment and the treatment of blindness
- Cocktail parties to raise funds for awareness
- Fundraisers with all sorts of giveaways and fun
So, while you may never even think about your vision and how quickly you may lose some of your visual field or, worse yet, face blindness, World Sight Day may be just the thing to bring this important notion to the forefront of your mind.
World Sight Day is a global day of celebration. It celebrates the gift of vision, how to protect it, and how to take preventative measures, as well as find cures and provide funds for those around the world who are already afflicted.
Take a moment to mark your calendar or set a reminder in your phone to celebrate the next World Sight Day, get yourself a visual field check-up, and be proactive in your visual health and wellness. To learn more ways to celebrate or promote World Sight Day the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness.